In recognition of the versatility of the Golden Retriever, and to
encourage owners to showcase that versatility by participating in multiple areas of
competition at National and Regional specialty events, the Golden
Retriever Club of America has established a "Triathlon Award" for dogs which meet
the following criteria:
• Conformation: must place in a regular, non-regular, sweepstakes, veteran
sweepstakes, or gun dog sweepstakes class; or receive a Judges Award of
Merit in Best of Breed competition; or obtain passing scores from at least
two evaluators at the CCA test. Note: Multiple dog classes such as Stud Dog,
Brood Bitch or Brace do not qualify.
• Field: must pass either the WC or WCX test; or pass any level in a hunt
test; or place or receive a Judges Award of Merit in any stake in a field
• Performance: must pass a tracking test; or obtain a qualifying score in
any individual regular or non-regular obedience, agility or rally class.
Note: Multiple dog classes such as Brace or Team do not qualify.
1. The required combination of criteria must be received on the same
individual dog at the same National or Regional specialty, and be the result of
successful participation as outlined above. Participation in multi-dog
events such as Stud Dog, Brood Bitch, and Brace are not eligible.
2. Neutered or spayed animals are eligible to compete provided they are
also eligible for the class or test in which they are entered.
3. The owner must be a current member of the GRCA at the time of the
4. The owner must complete a Triathlon Award application and submit it to
the Triathlon Award Chairperson. The application must have attached to it
the complete documentation that demonstrates that the dog has met all of the
qualifications for the award.
5. No advertising or listing of the Triathlon Award is to appear on any
advertisements, web sites, or databases prior to receiving formal
documentation from GRCA that the Triathlon Award has been earned, nor shall
recognition of Triathlon Award take place at National or Regional specialties prior
to receiving formal documentation from GRCA that the Triathlon Award has
6. Once the documentation has been verified and requirements have been
meet, a certificate of recognition will be sent to the owner, and the owner
may submit a write-up of this accomplishment for publication in the GR News.
A photo of at least 300dpi and a brief write-up, including the name and
location of the event, should be sent to the address below. Write-ups and
photos may be sent via Email or regular mail.