GRCA Randy Schepper Sportsmanship Award
(formerly AKC Sportsmanship Award)
In October 2016, the GRCA Board of Directors renamed the AKC Sportsmanship Award to the GRCA Randy Schepper Sportsmanship Award. (Res NS16-59)
This award is presented at the GRCA National Specialty Annual Meeting to an individual who deserves special recognition for making a difference in the Sport of Purebred Dogs, who embodies the AKC Code of Sportsmanship, and who has been an active and valued member of GRCA.
While very subjective, a candidate for the award should have the following qualities (not in any particular order):
- Promotes goodwill among others.
- Supports the wins and accomplishments of others by extending congratulations.
- Places the “good of the dogs” above all else.
- Consistently encourages a positive, sportsmanlike attitude at competitive and performance events.
- Is a role model in exhibiting exceptional sportsmanship with others.
- Extends a welcome and willingness to help others. Is approachable–especially to newcomers.
- Offers ideas to others for breeding, care, grooming, handling, competing, training, etc.
- Exhibits a willingness to volunteer and give back to the sport.
- Always displays integrity, fairness and honesty.
Nominations for this award should be submitted to the GRCA Secretary no later than June 1st of each year. The successful candidate will be determined by a majority vote of the Board of Directors at the Old (Retired) Board Meeting.
The GRCA Secretary will make arrangements for the recipient to receive the embossed medallion from AKC.